AG Research, Sydney, NS
Click here to find the full job posting and apply.
AG Research is seeking a dynamic, self-motivated candidate to fill the position of Intermediate / Senior Software Developer (GIS). They should possess excellent communication and people skills, and proven experience working on business solutions software development projects, to meet the requirements of our Canadian and international clients. The successful candidate will work with our business analysts, software architects, QA team and IT specialists in a dynamic and enjoyable environment producing leading edge .NET solutions often integrated with GIS. They will also have opportunity to cultivate many skills in one of Cape Breton’s largest IT companies.
Design and develop new enterprise Geospatial Information Systems (GIS) solutions and enhancements to existing software applications. Perform a variety of tasks relating to the design, development, testing, and documentation of GIS software applications. Work closely with project managers, technical staff, and other team members to deliver GIS solutions to clients.
Duties and Responsibilities
The GIS Developer performs a wide range of duties including some or all of the following:
· Experience with Web/Win GIS application development in a .NET environment.
· Experience in working with ESRI 10.1,9.3 ArcGIS products, including ArcGIS Desktop, Server, ArcSDE, file geodatabases, and raster libraries
· Experience in GIS spatial data manipulation, including importing / exporting data between data sources, updating spatial data, and re-projecting data.
· Experience curating maps and layers for publishing as REST map services in ArcGIS Server environment.
· Experience with ArcGIS license management.
· Develop functional specifications based on requirements.
· Create estimates based on specifications, indicating the level of effort required for the activities defined.
· Design and Build N-Tier Windows Applications.
· Debug and Test within the development environment.
· Develop application reporting as required.
· Help develop and maintain database models to support applications.
· Design and Develop Standard and Spatial Relational Databases
· Develop and maintain database access layers (DAL) to support applications.
· Maintain current and legacy databases.
Documentation and Support:
· Respond to application questions and problems.
· Make modifications to the application software as required.
· Develop documentation to support end-user and help systems.
· Maintain legacy applications.
· Participate in development projects as a team member and/or development leader.
· Adherence to the standard Project Management and Software Development Life Cycle Methodologies in all development initiatives.
· Mentor or Train less experienced developers as required.
Education (One or more of the following)
- College or University Degree in Computer Science or Geomatics
- ESRI Certification in ArcGIS Development
- Microsoft Certification in relevant .Net Development
- * Self-Directed Education
· ArcGIS Desktop, Server and ArcSDE 9.x; 10.x
· Use of ArcGIS Server in an Application/Production environment.
· Use of ArcGIS Portal in an Application/Production environment.
· Use of ArcGIS Runtime (10.2.7) development within the .Net WinForms environment.
· Use of the .Net Framework (v2.0 – v4.6).
· Understanding of Google Maps, Bing Maps and open source mapping solutions (MapServer, GeoServer, OpenLayers).
· Skills in C# or VB .Net in Visual Studio/TFS Development Environment
· Appreciation of OO techniques and design patterns
· Understanding N-Tier development structures.
· Understanding of Relational and Spatial Database Concepts
· Understanding of .Net security concepts.
· Understanding of Debugging/Testing within the development environment.
Proficiency in the use of the following software packages:
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2008/2010/2012 utilizing C# or VB .Net
- Microsoft Office
The following would be considered as additional assets for this position:
Certification as one or more of the following with relevant Windows development options:
· Certified Geographic Information Systems Professional (GISP)
· Microsoft Certified Developer (MCSD,MCPD,MCAD)
· Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist (MCTS)
· Iterative and Agile design methodologies
· Java, Eclipse and/or NetBeans
· PHP and/or Python
· Oracle RDBS/Spatial
· Microsoft Visio
· Microsoft Visual Source Safe and/or Microsoft TFS environment
· Electronic Data Interchange (EDI)
· Web Services SOA Experience
· Net 3.5 (WCF, WF, WPF)
Work is normally performed at AG Research Inc. in an indoor office environment. Overnight travel in Canada
and internationally may be required. Person should have or be eligible for a Canadian passport.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $36,000.00 - $55,000.00 per year
- Casual Dress
- Dental Care
- Disability Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Extended Health Care
- Flexible Schedule
- Life Insurance
- On-site Parking
- Vision Care
- 8 Hour Shift
- Monday to Friday
- .NET: 3 years (Required)
- Web Development: 3 years (Required)
- GIS: 3 years (Preferred)
- Bachelor's Degree (Preferred)