Click here for the full job posting.
Deadline: Tuesday August 4th at 12:00 noon.
Perennia Food and Agriculture Inc. is the province's technical development agency focused on the advancement of Nova Scotia’s agriculture and seafood sectors. Our highly skilled and collaborative team's mandate is to create value for the industry and the agency through the development and implementation of programs and consulting services. To assist in this effort, we are seeking a Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Officer for a one-year contract optionally based in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia at the Centre for Marine Applied Research (CMAR), one of Perennia’s special projects, located at the Centre for Ocean Ventures and Entrepreneurship (COVE) to join our growing team of 80+ employees.
CMAR supports advanced planning for fisheries and aquaculture in Nova Scotia. To support sustainable development of the aquaculture industry, particularly land-based developments, accessibility to existing infrastructure and service support is necessary to evaluate prospective site locations. While most necessary information exists in various forms and locations, an initiative is required to consolidate and centralize these data in Geographic Information System (GIS) friendly format to develop an interactive aquaculture asset map. As a GIS Officer working with CMAR, the successful candidate will be responsible for the development of a platform to support the collection, management, and communication of geographic information to support the ocean-sector economy, sourcing and consolidating this data into an interactive GIS platform.
Under the direct supervision of the Aquaculture Development Research Fellow, the successful candidate will work with collaborators from the Nova Scotia Department of Municipal Affairs and Housing (NSDMAH), the Nova Scotia Department of Fisheries and Aquaculture (NSDFA), Nova Scotia Geographic Information Services, and the Aquaculture Association of Nova Scotia (AANS). The successful candidate will be responsible for the design, collection, management and publication of digital data, maps and related information, including designing and implementing software solutions within a GIS environment. The GIS Officer will complete a project focusing on preparing data for publication and developing custom applications for ArcGIS Desktop and the Aquaculture Assets web app project. The incumbent will be expected to manipulate databases and other GIS data to enable integration into the Aquaculture Assets web app project.
- Creating and editing GIS feature classes and geodatabases within an ArcGIS environment.
- Providing quality control on GIS feature classes and geodatabases;
- Assisting with the cartographic editing of maps and other data;
- Assisting with the creation of GIS digital products, map services and associated metadata for products being released for public use;
- Assisting with the creation of the Aquaculture Assets web application;
- Assisting with the training of users of the Aquaculture Assets web app project; and
- Developing GUIs, tools and applications using Python within an ArcGIS environment.
- Graduation from an approved GIS technical school in the field of GIS;
- Experience or training in ArcGIS Desktop
- Ability to work independently and as a team;
- Excellent written and verbal skills;
- Collaborating with staff (including land use planners and scientists); and
- The ability to exercise a high degree of land use planning skill and judgment in carrying out projects related to providing software solutions to planning problems
The following would be considered assets:
- Experience with Web AppBuilder
- Work experience with the ArcGIS suite of software, in particular, experience within a planning environment;
- Courses in Python and experience developing GUIs, tools and applications within ArcGIS using Python;
- Demonstrated experience with ESRI’s ArcGIS suite of products especially in the following: creating and editing GIS feature classes; modelling spatial relationships using geodatabase topology rules; ModelBuilder; geoprocessing; ArcGIS Pro; 3D Analyst; data reviewer; Collector; Maplex; WebApp Builder and Data Driven Pages;
- Experience in teaching and training people in the use of software; and
- Experience in mapping and Nova Scotia geospatial data sets.
Salary range is commensurate with experience.
Perennia is an equal opportunity employer and offers a competitive compensation package based on the candidate’s skill and experience. This includes base salary, benefits and employer matching RRSP plan.
To apply for this new position at Centre for Marine Applied Research, please email a combined PDF or Word cover letter and resume noting compensation expectations to Janice MacMullin, HR Generalist at [email protected] by noon on Tuesday, August 04, 2020.
Only those granted interviews will be contacted. For information about Perennia visit their website at www.perennia.ca.
Click here for the full job posting
Click here to access Perennia's website directly