Find full posting and apply HERE.
The Geographic Information System (GIS) Technician reports directly to the Executive Director of NL911, and is responsible for providing 911 enhancement and GIS support related to technical operations standards, emergency service zone mapping, base digital mapping, civic addressing technology and other GIS related linkages for the province-wide 911 service.
The incumbent is responsible for, but not limited to:
- Compile and edit digital data/maps using GIS software (ArcGIS).
- Coordinate with municipalities and local service districts on civic addressing data capture.
- Perform quality control procedures, develop and test data capture, data editing, data manipulation, and data conversion processes.
- Management and maintenance of extensive digital map files and databases.
- Maintain operational requirements for 911 operations with respect to emergency service zone mapping and the enhancements of data collection.
- Become fluent in the operation and maintenance of 911 System software to ensure real time operational functionality with respect to the agency of priority protocols.
- Monitor and respond effectively to changes in telephone and/or spatial boundary information that affect 911 usage.
- Prepare and present maps, geomatic products and services and statistical data using Microsoft Excel for Executive Director and/or Board of Directors meetings, press conferences and public communications.
- Work with various agencies and levels of government on the development of standards, policies, and procedures for a province wide civic addressing technology, and the piloting of a Next Generation (NG911) system.
- Understand the technological requirements and assist with the implementation of a NG911 service.
- Collaborate with other provinces, agencies and entities to identify best practices and identify challenges encountered in implementing enhancements to 911 services.
- Determine optimal geo-processing functions to complete assigned tasks based on established standards.
- Assist with public outreach displays and demonstrations.
- Perform other related duties as required.
The incumbent should have experience in the design, implementation, maintenance and evaluation of innovative geomatic solutions and/or infrastructure as well as knowledge in base digital and emergency zone mapping with an understanding of civic addressing requirements that support a 911 service.
Awareness of telecommunications and information technology relating to 911 programs and systems and the ability to develop technical operational standards, policies, procedures and protocols is an asset.
S/he is required to work with a variety of partners and stakeholders and therefore must be creative, innovative and possess relationship building, strategic planning, organizational and communication skills. These qualifications would normally be acquired through completion of a geomatics diploma/degree supplemented by progressive work responsibilities. Equivalencies may be considered.
SALARY: Starting at $48,111
COMPETITION #: 2001-911 (Please quote when applying)
CLOSING DATE: June 24, 2020