GIS Conservation Planner - Nova Scotia Nature Trust Job location: Halifax
Closing date: Sept 10, 2016
The successful candidate will help advance the Nature Trust’s work by integrating best practices, data, science, and expert knowledge to develop a series of GIS-based conservation prioritizations to inform strategic planning around habitat conservation on privately‐owned lands in Nova Scotia. The position entails acquiring, compiling and integrating environmental, ecological and property-related data, seeking input from experts and conservation partners, and developing and implementing GIS-based prioritization methodology and models to develop conservation prioritization “blueprints” to support the strategic, science-driven advancement of the Nature Trust’s conservation work.
- Review relevant data collection, and GIS conservation strategies and models completed or underway.
- Identify, acquire, compile, manage and/or integrate environmental and property-related spatial data sets and knowledge from partner organizations. Where necessary identify and fill data and knowledge gaps.
- Develop a replicable GIS‐based private land conservation model, plan and priority map that can be used to assess, rank and make decisions related to specific private lands identified for potential conservation.
- Seek input from experts and conservation partners through workshops, and through ongoing communication. Liaise and cooperate with other conservation organizations and individuals regarding testing and refinement of methodologies and sharing of findings related to conservation planning.
- Degree, diploma or other GIS certification from a recognized institution specializing in Planning, Cartography, Geographic Information Systems, Surveying or Remote Sensing.
- Post secondary qualification in geography, planning or a related field.
- A minimum of 3-5 years’ experience developing, implementing and maintaining complex GIS solutions, and performing a wide diversity of GIS-related tasks.
- Proficiency using ArcGIS 10.x
- Experience in organizing, editing, managing and manipulating spatial data.
- Exceptional attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to communicate in a professional manner.
- An enthusiastic self-starter with the ability to take initiative, work independently and to meet deadlines.
- Experience in conservation, particularly land preservation and habitat/species conservation.
- Proven abilities to use GIS specifically in the land conservation/conservation science planning context
- Experience managing large, complex GIS projects
- Demonstrated experience collaborating with other parties to obtain data sources and to coordinate scientific peer review of products, modelling methodology etc.
- Experience using Python and Model Builder
- Cartographic design and layout